A Series of Online Webinars for Stakeholders in Each of the Six UNEP Regions
Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future (SF), with the support of the United Nations Environment Programme’s (UNEP) Civil Society Unit in Nairobi, invites you to take part in one of six new regional capacity-building webinars for Major Group Stakeholders.
Focused on the run-up to UNEA 5.2, the resumed session of UNEA-5 from 28 February to 2 March 2022, the webinars will also include content relevant to the Special Session of the Assembly on 3 – 4 March 2022, which is devoted to the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the creation of UN Environment Programme in 1972 – [email protected]
The webinars will also highlight the related and upcoming Stockholhm+50 meeting, convened by the United Nations General Assembly and hosted by the governments of Sweden and Kenya, to be held in Stockholm, Sweden from 2-3 June 2022 to commemorate the 50 years since the 1972 United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, which made the environment a pressing global issue for the first time.
Soon to Come Registration Options and the Webinar Programme
Links to register for the webinar for your UNEP region will be sent as an additional invitation in the coming weeks. In the meantime, please save the date and time of the webinar of your choice, as seen below, on your calendars.
Participants are welcome to attend a webinar for a UNEP region different from their location if the date and time are better, and/or if they prefer to attend a webinar with Spanish or French simultaneous translation.
16 Nov. – North America Region: 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM EST (New York)/9:00 to 1:30 PM PST (Los Angeles)
19 Nov. – Latin America & Caribbean Region (with simultaneous translation English to Spanish): 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM EST (New York)/10:00 AM to 2:30 PM COT (Bogotá)
23 Nov. – Europe Region: 6:30 AM to 11:00 AM EST (New York)/12:30 PM to 5:00 PM CET (Brussels)
24 Nov. – Africa Region (with simultaneous translation English to French): 4:30 AM to 9:00 AM EST (New York)/12:30 PM to 5:00 PM EAT (Nairobi)
30 Nov. – West Asia Region: 5:30 AM to 10:00 AM EST (New York)/12:30 PM to 5:00 PM EET (Beirut)
2 Dec. – Asia and the Pacific Region: 2:00 AM to 6:30 AM EST (New York)/12:30 PM to 5:00 PM IST (New Delhi)
Structure, preparation for, and content of the webinars
In advance of attending these new 4.5 hours duration webinars, we recommend that participants view a series of seven pre-recorded background information modules (in English and Spanish) if they did not attend the September or December 2020 Capacity Building seminars titled ‘How to Engage with UNEP and UNEA’ conducted by Stakeholder Forum. Those who did attend are welcome to re-watch the primer modules to refresh their memories.
The pre-recorded modules address the following background subjects:
1. The role of Stakeholders in UNEP and at UNEA, and how to build caucuses and work across the major groups;
2. National and Regional Processes;
3. Attending UNEP and UNEA meetings: rules of procedure and engagement, and approaching and engaging with Member States;
4. What it’s like to be a Member State representative and how to engage best;
5. How to draft a resolution for a United Nations meeting;
6. Multi-stakeholder Partnerships and partnerships to deliver the UNEP Medium-Term Strategy and Programme of Works; and
7. Background on UNGA Resolution 73/333, formerly known as Global Pact for the Environment.
Links to the pre-recorded modules will be made available to those who register.
Designed in cooperation with the Civil Society Unit of UNEP, the content of the new regional webinars are as follows:
Session 1 – Modules (2 hours, including Q&A sessions)
1. Understanding the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA), its two Bureaux, and the United Nations Environment Programme’s (UNEP) structure and history.
2. Advice for newcomers on how to engage within the diplomatic sphere of inter-governmental decision-making in the UN, lobby Member states, and the role of an MGS representative at UNEA.
3. Guidance on the effective use of virtual platforms while attending online meetings.
4. UNEP’s Medium-Term Strategy and Programme of Work; their content and implementation among Major Groups and other Stakeholders.
15 minutes break
Session 2 – Modules (2 hours, including Q&A sessions)
1. Updates on United Nations General Assembly resolution 72/277 (Towards a Global Pact for the Environment) and resolution 73/333 (Follow-up to the report of the ad hoc open-ended working group established pursuant to General Assembly resolution 72/277).
2. Pending resolutions and preparation for UNEA 5.2 in February 2022, including Marine Plastic Litter and Microplastics.
3. Progress on the [email protected] and Stockholm+50 processes.
4. Final Q&A and webinar wrap-up.
Please save the date of your choice and share with your networks.
For details of the webinar registration email click on the notification bell and/or subscribe to our newsletter.