The Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG), at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA/DSDG) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), New York Office, are organizing the 2021 edition of the SDGs Learning, Training & Practice – a series of capacity building and knowledge learning sessions held as a Special Event to the HLPF, featuring speakers and experts from many sectors on crucial topics related to the implementation of the SDGs under review in 2021.
The 2021 HLPF Theme
The SDG Learning, Training and Practice Special Event will align with the 2021 HLPF theme: “Sustainable and resilient recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic that promotes the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development: building an inclusive and effective path for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development”.
Ten virtual learning sessions will be organized by partners from national governments and stakeholders from different sectors.
It will also be aligned with the set of SDGs to be reviewed in depth at the 2021 HLPF:
- SDG 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- SDG 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- SDG 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- SDG 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- SDG 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- SDG13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- SDG 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
The 10 Sessions
Sessions will be held from Tuesday 6 July to Monday 12 July 2021 (8:30-10:15 AM or 2:00-3:45 PM, EDT).
Session 1 Opening Session – Organized by UNDESA and UNITAR (Tuesday, 6 July 08:30AM – 10:15AM EDT)
Session 2 Unmasking inequalities, accelerating change: using disaggregated and citizen-generated data to foster SDG reporting and Accountability (Tuesday, 6 July 2:00PM-3:45PM EDT)
Session 3 Integrating recovery planning from COVID-19, building resilience and strengthening policy coherence towards the SDGs (Wednesday, 7 July 08:30AM – 10:15AM EDT)
Session 4 Fostering Evidence-Based Decision-making for Sustainable and Just COVID Recovery and Transformative SDG implementation (Wednesday, 7 July 2:00PM-3:45PM EDT)
Session 5 Tools and Lessons for inclusive and sustainable recovery to secure, regain and sustain SDG momentum (Thursday, 8 July 08:30AM – 10:15AM EDT)
Session 6 Mainstreaming SDG 16+ in VNRs and National Development Planning (Thursday, 8 July 2:00PM-3:45PM EDT)
Session 7 Supporting Recovery and SDG implementation at local level: governance, tools and experiences (Friday, 9 July 08:30AM – 10:15AM EDT)
Session 8 Accelerating progress towards the SDGs through education (Friday, 9 July 2:00PM-3:45PM EDT)
Session 9 Filling the gaps in further education for the 2030 Agenda and inspiring action towards the SDGs (Monday, 12 July 08:30AM – 10:15AM EDT)
Session 10 Nuclear disarmament and our sustainable future (Monday, 12 July 2:00PM-3:45PM EDT))
The 2021 SDGS Learning, Training and Practice special events will be held in a virtual format. All sessions will be livestreamed, recorded, and open to all interested participants.